Ultimate Braai Master, sponsored by Pick n’ Payon May 24, 2012
South African celebrity chef and veteran presenter, Justin Bonello, together with a team of impressive culinary personalities and local chefs put 79 short-listed Western Cape teams through their paces last Saturday at the “Ultimate Braai Master” reality TV competition’s first regional audition event to be held at Grand West Entertainment and Casino World.
Sponsored by Pick n Pay, Coca Cola and Renault together with trade partners, Sun International and Cadac, is set to launch on SABC 3 on 13 September 2012, the competition opened to the public in April inviting aspirant braai masters from around the country to enter online. From a total of 6400 entrants, Justin and his production team at Cooked in Africa Films short-listed 300 teams (of two contestants each) from around the country to take part in three regional auditions in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg during May and the first weekend of June.
Cape Town’s first regional cook-off was held at Grand West Casino & Entertainment World on Saturday, 19 May, where 79 of the Western Cape’s hottest braai talents competed head to head in their quest to earn a spot in Justin’s 52 day culinary reality TV adventure Series and stand a chance at winning the prize of R500 000 cash, a new Renault Koleos 4×4 valued at R325 000, a Cadac BraaiMaxx valued at R15 000, and the title of South Africa’s “Ultimate Braai Master”.
Justin, together with 17 of local celebrity judges, including Bertus Basson, Executive Chef and owner of Overture in Stellenbosch; Executive Chef of Table Bay Hotel, Dallas Orr; Craig Cormack owner and chef from Sofias Restaurant on Morgenster Wine Estate; Howard Booysen of Howard Booysen Wines; owner of Spier’s Biodynamic Farms, Angus Macintosh; and Executive Chef at Sun City, Andrew Roberts, judged each competing team on a variety of criteria including ‘gees’, presentation, taste, texture and originality.
After a vigorous tasting session that lasted from 12pm to 3pm, Justin, together with Metrofm DJ, Tbo Touch, announced the 15 short-listed teams to make it through to a second day of competitive pressure cooking and secret judging from which 14 of the 15 competing teams from around the country will be selected and announced on 14 June.
The Western Cape finalists include:
- Team Buffalo: friends from Stellenbosch, Barrie Niemand and Sean Patrick Hare Bowers.
- Team Cooked on the Stoep: friends from Ashton, Stephan Busch and Craigan Millar
- Team Who-Dares-Wins: friends from Cape Town, Laertes Melidonis and Elain Eleanor Smith
- Team The Stoned Olives: dating couple from Hermanus, Ronel Theron and Billy Stanley
- Team Barefoot Braaiers: friends from Cape Town, Rouan Du Plessis and Walter – friends from Cape Town
- Team Pot Bellies: friends from Cape Town, Juan Paul Lund and Kennedy O’Brian
- All-female Team Whichway Braai Chicks: friends from Cape Town, Janie Smit and Maudie Bleach
- Team Boertjie&Braaibokkie: married couple from Cape Town, Adre Meyer and Grant Meyer
- Team Sons of Africa: friends from Cape Town, Shaun van der Merwe and Steven Lashmor
- Team The Piggies: brothers from Cape Town, Jamii Hamlin and Peter Powel
- Team Hout Cuisine: brothers from Cape Town, Oscar and Christopher Foulkes
- Team The Green Feet Team: friends from Cape Town, Tinus Els and Lekitlane Mokiti
- Team Braai Brasse van die Kaap: friends from Cape Town Michael Suttner and Hankus
- Team The K & K: friends from Cape Town, Johan Jonker and John McClelland
- Team Monna’s: friends from Cape Town, Monica Faul and Willem Smit
Attending Western Cape teams donated their uneaten Ultimate Braai Master meals and left over food to the Kwakhanya Community Home Based Care. Based in the heart of Khayelitsha and headed up by Project Manager, Sweetness Mzolisa, the Non-Profit Organisation is committed to combating poverty and supporting those infected and affected by HIV.
The final 15 Teams to take part in the “Ultimate Braai Master” reality TV competition will be announced on 21 June. Filming will start in July with the winning team announced in the final episode of “Ultimate Braai Master”, which will be screened on SABC 3 on 6 December 2012.