Rory McIlroy Withdrawson December 5, 2009
Rory McIlroy has withdrawn from the Nedbank Golf Challenge. The 20-year-old Northern Irishman, who had been struggling with a viral infection since representing his country in the World Cup of Golf in China, gamely played the first two rounds in Sun City, but shortly before he was due to tee off in the third round it was decided that he could no longer continue.
“Rory is obviously bitterly disappointed,” said his manager Stuart Cage, “he was in fact quite prepared to play on, but on the advice of the medical staff he withdrew. The doctor was concerned with his levels of dehydration, and to be on the safe side it was thought that it would be better to heed the medical advice. ”
Cage, a former European Tour player himself, will be acting as marker for Richard Sterne, who was drawn to play with McIlroy.
McIlroy’s caddy, JP Fitzgerald, was not surprised that McIlroy had finally withdrawn. “It was clear that Rory was not himself,” he said “Since we arrived in Sun City, and in fact while we were still in Asia, Rory was feeling weak, and although he was excited about playing in his first Nedbank Golf Challenge, and definitely up for it, he struggled to play his best.”
McIlroy shot a disappointing first round 73, which he followed up with a 76. “This is a big loss for the tournament,” said Sun City’s Director of Golf Antonie Els, “But I’m confident that we see Rory back here next year.”
Rory McIlroy was so impressed with the Sun City Resort, he immediately telephoned his girlfriend Holly when he arrived at the Gary Player Country Club, and insisted that she get on a plane and join him in Sun City. Holly arrived on Thursday, and is just as disappointed as Rory at having to cut short their stay.