Good Food & Wine Eveningson September 12, 2011
The Villa Del Palazzo Restaurant at the opulent Palace of the Lost City is an intimate location to gather and savour fine wine and good food. The Executive Chef for this Mediterranean-inspired restaurant, Nicholas Froneman, has teamed up with a few celebrity chefs to host the Good Food & Wine Evenings.
International Chefs Share Their Culinary Delights
The first Good Food & Wine Evening kicked off on 2 September when Froneman was delighted to host 8 of the most internationally respected chefs in the culinary world; Otto Weibel, Norbert Girnth, Frank Naesheim, Mark Hellbach, Hans Ulrich Wismer, Heinz Brunner, Familie Rufibach and Walter Kessler.
“I cannot think of any better company to enjoy this inaugural evening with,” said Froneman. “It is a tremendous honour for my chefs to meet these gentlemen and to gain from their extensive experience.”
The group stayed at The Palace for 2 nights and enjoyed many of the activities on offer, such as: a safari in the Pilanesberg National Park, dinner in the boma and a round of golf at The Lost City Golf Club.
“The Good Food & Wine menu reflects numerous international trends appropriate for an evening such as this and each course is complemented by a matching wine carefully selected by Head Sommelier, Thatho Goimane, allowing guests to savour the flavours and aromas,” says Froneman.
What To Expect From The Good Food & Wine Evenings
Dinner begins with a first course of the following:
- Tuna, swordfish and ostrich carpaccio served with plum tomato and buffalo mozzarella and an asparagus and rocket salad with a sweet basil dressing
- The accompanying wine is a fresh and flinty Steenberg Sauvignon Blanc 2010 from Constantia
The second course:
- An Italian inspired dish of white truffle gnocchi, porcini and thyme butter, asparagus and gremolata
- This is accompanied by a Thelema Chardonnay 2009, from Stellenbosch
The third course:
- A fresh fillet of Norwegian salmon with leek and potato puree and prawn tail
- The accompanying Haute Cabriere Pinot Noir 2007 from Franschhoek is unmistakably elegant with concentrated aromas of ripe cherries that seduce the palate
The fourth course:
- Karan beef fillet (dry aged for 21 days) served with chanterelle mushrooms, shitake butter and a melange of vegetables, topped with aged parmesan and soft garlic cheese ravioli
- The dish is paired with Nederburg Cabernet Sauvignon / Merlot 2003 from Paarl which has a savoury spice finish; excellent with beef
For the dessert course:
- Executive Pastry Chef, Nazerit Essack concocted a magical Chocolate Assiette Trio; three incredible taste sensations consisting of a Honey Nougat Cone, a chocolate cone filled with raspberry jelly, parfait of honey, meringue and nougat; Crème Brule with lavender chocolate and vanilla bean and Whiskey Fondant, a dark chocolate single malt fondant served with home-made coffee and vanilla ice cream
- Goimane has chosen a vintage port to accompany these dishes; Allesverloren Cape Vintage Port 2007, which has alluring aromas of honey, raisins and blackcurrant with chocolate and mocha undertones. It has a full and rich entry with a soft, velvety and lingering fruit cake aftertaste
To make a reservation, please contact Gugu on 014 557 3180. The cost is R650 per person and includes the wine pairings.